Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Snakehead Adventure


My neighbor John from Profish had been bending my ear about these snakeheads prowling around in the waters of the Potomac. The more he talked the more excited I got. This is an invasive species that was first found in a pond in Crofton Maryland around 2002. There was a lot of talk about how much of a predator they are and a lot of concern of them getting into the larger waterways in Maryland. Well, they have done exactly that, and we decided to get out and try and reduce the herd a bit. Yeah I know fish travel in schools.

Having some insider information from a friend of his at the DNR we headed down to Piscataway Creek to try our luck. We had also been informed of some nice largemouth in those waters as well so we came prepared with our spinner baits, frogs, and buzz baits. We maneuvered my creek company pontoon raft into the area we'd been informed about. We were fishing the rising tide and the water was clear and only a foot or two over a huge grass bed. Having only fished grass beds a few times I was a little apprehensive about our approach. My apprehension was erased quite quickly by John when he hooked up with a nice Largemouth within the first few casts on a buzz bait. Not long after I had a couple swirling pops on that rattling contraption at the end of my line. Let me tell you there is nothing more exciting than an oversized gullet breaking the surface of the water to suck down the lure your ripping toward the boat.

We had a blast all evening with our largemouth friends. We even had some channel cats get in on the action. John and I both caught one on the buzzer and I caught another on a spinner bait. I have to say that's a first. The first that we were shooting for never happened. We weren't able to snag any snakeheads but it was a great time trying.

On the drive home I got a text from my buddy Austin at www.whackfactoroutdoors.com with a picture of an awesome snakehead he had taken bow fishing. My turn is coming Austin, my turn is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment